docs/85104: keyboard(4) manpage hides behind Xorg version

Gary W. Swearingen garys at opusnet.com
Mon Aug 22 01:30:37 UTC 2005

The following reply was made to PR docs/85104; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: garys at opusnet.com (Gary W. Swearingen)
To: Giorgos Keramidas <keramida at ceid.upatras.gr>
Cc: bug-followup at freebsd.org
Subject: Re: docs/85104: keyboard(4) manpage hides behind Xorg version
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2005 18:27:45 -0700

 Giorgos Keramidas <keramida at ceid.upatras.gr> writes:

 > The average Joe Random User has to learn about "apropos" and "man -k"
 > though.  This is the canonical way of looking for manpages related to a
 > topic, and invoking either one of "apropos" or "man -k" shows there are
 > two manpages:
 >
 > % giorgos at gothmog:/home/giorgos$ man -k ^keyboard
 > % keyboard(4)              - pc keyboard interface
 > % keyboard(4x)             - Keyboard input driver
 > % giorgos at gothmog:/home/giorgos$

 OK, so JRU now knows about the two manpages.  Show me what commands JRU
 uses to view each one (regardless of JRU's PATH value, I hope). But
 don't bother unless it's better than my awkward solution below.

 > The correct way to bring up manpages of section XX is to use "man XX",
 > so you shouldn't really expect to see keyboard(4x) by running:
 >
 > 	% man 4 keyboard
 >
 > The correct command:
 >
 > 	% man 4x keyboard
 >
 > pulls the correct manpage, so I don't see what the problem is :-/

 The problem is that JRU might, and I do, get the keyboard(4x) manpage
 no matter which of your commands we use, and as you say we "shouldn't
 really expect to see keyboard(4x) by running: man 4 keyboard".  The
 other problem is that in order to see keyboard(4), one might have to
 do all this and know enough to do it:

    $ man -wa keyboard
    /usr/X11R6/man/man4/keyboard.4x.gz
    /usr/share/man/man4/keyboard.4.gz