docs/85097: [patch] devd.conf.5 lacks a lot of vital information.

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at FreeBSD.org
Fri Aug 19 13:20:19 UTC 2005

The following reply was made to PR docs/85097; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Giorgos Keramidas <keramida at FreeBSD.org>
To: Fredrik Lindberg <fli at shapeshifter.se>
Cc: bug-followup at FreeBSD.org
Subject: Re: docs/85097: [patch] devd.conf.5 lacks a lot of vital information.
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 16:13:02 +0300

 On 2005-08-19 10:40, Fredrik Lindberg <fli at shapeshifter.se> wrote:
 >Gary W. Swearingen wrote:
 >> Some fonts don't show a single "`" well and .Dq seems to be more
 >> popular (and I don't like either one).  That is, it's OK.
 >
 > I took a quick look at some other manuals, .Ql seems to be used
 > to quote single characters while .Dq is used to quote words.

 Correct.

 >>> +If two statements matches the same event, only the action of the statement with
 >>> +highest priority will be carried out. In this way generic statements can be
 >>> +overridden for devices/notifications that requires special attention.
 >>
 >> IIRC, two sentences should not share the same line.
 >
 >  Inserting a hard break between those lines? even though they
 >  are so closely related?

 Yes.

 >  >>+configuration files. Any number of this directive is valid.
 >  >
 >  >
 >  > I'm fairly sure it should "these directives", but "is" is correct.
 >  > (I see that it's problematic, though.)
 >
 >  I went over that sentence like a 100 times while writing, but since
 >  english isn't my native language I really can't say which to use.

 ``Any number of "foo" directives can be used.'' ?

 >  > Use .Li or .Dq Li or .Ql Li ?

 The ``.Ql'' request already makes its argument ``literal''.  The
 canonical use of ``.Ql'' and ``.Dq Li'' is, AFAIK, one of the following:

 	.Ql X
 	.Dq Li XXX*

 >  >>+The variable $device-name is avaiable for later use with the action-statement.
 >  >
 >  > Probably: .Va $device-name

 And a bit of shuffling around.  This sounds more natural in English:

 	The
 	.Va device-name
 	variable

 >  >>+Command to execute upon a successful match. For example
 >  >>+/etc/rc.d/power_profile $notify
 >  >
 >  > I'd use ".Ic ..." even if it's not interactive. Bold on my term.

 I would prefer making this a real "display" of literal text that can be
 copy-pasted to the devd.conf file:

 	.Bd -literal -offset indent
 	notify "/etc/rc.d/power_profile $notify";
 	.Ed

 but this is just a personal preference, I guess.