docs/85104: keyboard(4) manpage hides behind Xorg version

Gary W. Swearingen garys at opusnet.com
Fri Aug 19 00:50:21 UTC 2005

>Number:         85104
>Category:       docs
>Synopsis:       keyboard(4) manpage hides behind Xorg version
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical

On systems with X11 installed, the FreeBSD keyboard(4) manpage can
be hidden by the X11 version:

    $ man -w keyboard
    /usr/X11R6/man/man4/keyboard.4x.gz

    $ man -wa keyboard
    /usr/X11R6/man/man4/keyboard.4x.gz
    /usr/share/man/man4/keyboard.4.gz

It seems wrong to force users to use and to know to use:

    man -M /usr/share/man keyboard

or have them fix up /etc/manpath.config and have the X11
version ignored instead.

>How-To-Repeat:
>Fix:

Debatable.  This could be considered a sysadmin's problem.

Both manpages seem out of place in section 4, so I suggest
moving moving FreeBSD's to section 7 and worry about all
of the misplaced X11 manpages in a different PR.

Unfortunately, references to keyboard(4) in these manpages would need
to change to keyboard(7):

kbdcontrol.1
vidcontrol.1
pcvt.4
screen.4
syscons.4
syscons.4
vt.4
sc.4
sc.4
kbdmap.5
keymap.5
moused.8

I'll write manpage patches if some change is agreed upon.