docs/85100: ICH audio device support statement is ambiguous

Arthur Hartwig arthur.hartwig at nokia.com
Thu Aug 18 23:40:28 UTC 2005

>Number:         85100
>Category:       docs
>Synopsis:       ICH audio device support statement is ambiguous
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Environment:
FreeBSD oz-net-11.iprg.nokia.com 5.4-RELEASE FreeBSD 5.4-RELEASE #8: Thu Aug 18 16:46:30 EST 2005     hartwig at oz-net-11.iprg.nokia.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/oz-net-11  i386

          The ICH6 (possibly other members of the ICH family) provides two audio devices: an AC97 audio and the Intel High Definition Audio (also called azalia). The FreeBSD/i386 5.4-RELEASE Hardware Notes (and possible the Hardware Notes for other platforms) ambiguously states that the ICH6 audio device is supported without stating which ICH6 audio device. My examination of the dev/sound/pci/ich.c driver suggests that the support is for the AC97 audio device and that there is no support for the High Definition Audio device.

I discovered this when I tried to get the sound working on my ICH7 based motherboard (Gigabyte Gi-8I945P-G) Noting that the ICH6 and ICH7 High defiition audio devices seemed very similar (apart from the PCI ids) I tweaked the ich sound driver to also recognise the ICH7 HDA device but the driver attach function reported another problem. When I went looking into that I discovered the AC97 audio device on the IC6 and ICH7 and that the ich sound driver supported the AC97 audio. Since the BIOS on my motherboard disables the AC97 audio device I am left with no audio support.
>How-To-Repeat:

>Fix:
       Suggest the hardware release notes on all relevant platforms be clarified, the file conf/NOTES be modified by replacing
# snd_ich:              Intel ICH PCI and some more audio controllers
#                       embedded in a chipset.

with something like
# snd_ich:		The AC97 audio device in Intel ICH PCI and
#			some other chipsets. This does not support
#			the Intel High Definition Audio device.

and the file dev/sound/pci/ich.c be changed to include a statement that its a driver for the AC97 audio device not the Intel High Definition Audio device.