FreeBSD doc packages - docs/71153

Simon L. Nielsen simon at FreeBSD.org
Thu Aug 18 17:53:18 UTC 2005

On 2005.08.19 02:10:29 +0900, Hiroki Sato wrote:
> Hi Simon,
>
> "Simon L. Nielsen" <simon at freebsd.org> wrote
>   in <20050612170112.GT821 at zaphod.nitro.dk>:
>
> si> The doc packages have now been more or less broken for about a year
> si> (yes I should have gotten around to looking at it, but...) and I have
> si> yet to hear anyone mention this (other than ceri in the docs/71153).
> si>
> si> So, is there really a point in keeping doc packages around?  I don't
> si> really think they are that interesting and they in account for a large
> si> part of doc/ on the FTP mirrors.
>
>  I guess few people know about the doc packages and/or most of people
>  read the docs online only...

Indeed.

I had actually planned to remove the packages some time ago, I just
haven't gotten around to it yet.

>  Well, what do you think about removing the current doc packages and
>  providing ports which simply fetch and install tarballs built
>  in doc/$LANGCODE during a full build?
>  In the ports collection, periodical build check is performed
>  on pointyhat and they have better visibility for people, I think.

I sounds like an interesting way, I'm just a bit unsure how to
actually handle the upgrades / distfiles best.  We currently have all
the normal docs on the ftp sites, but they are not versioned at the
moment.

The simpler solution might be to simply let people update the prebuild
doc via rsync, like Pav's "docsnap".

--
Simon L. Nielsen