docsnap lives!

Pav Lucistnik pav at FreeBSD.org
Thu Aug 18 13:04:47 UTC 2005

What is Docsnap?

Docsnap is a new rsync repository for easy updating of installed FreeBSD
documentation (/usr/share/doc). The files there are a little different
then the files built as part of www build (static URLs). Content is
updated hourly.

Why rsync?

To use the main advantage of rsync - to only transfer the differences!

How do I use it?

rsync -rltvz docspan.sk.FreeBSD.org::docsnap /usr/share/doc/

Rsync lives in net/rsync port.

Want more info?

http://docsnap.sk.freebsd.org/

What's there left to do?

Perhaps a FreeBSD port that would install some simple script called
"docsnap" to call the rsync line above? Feels too trivial to me -
comments?

Perhaps adding a few lines about this to official docs once the bugs are
ironed out. Comments?

Thanks

Juraj Lutter for providing me with account on cvsup.sk.freebsd.org
Roman Divacky for tossing the idea and pushing me to implementing it

--
Pav Lucistnik <pav at oook.cz>
              <pav at FreeBSD.org>

You can't expect to wield supreme executive power just 'cause some
watery tart threw a sword at you.