docs/85008: [patch] environ(7) manpage references builtin(1) but not printenv(1)

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at freebsd.org
Tue Aug 16 22:10:25 UTC 2005

The following reply was made to PR docs/85008; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Giorgos Keramidas <keramida at freebsd.org>
To: "Gary W. Swearingen" <garys at opusnet.com>
Cc: bug-followup at freebsd.org
Subject: Re: docs/85008: [patch] environ(7) manpage references builtin(1) but not printenv(1)
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 01:05:26 +0300

 On 2005-08-16 13:23, "Gary W. Swearingen" <garys at opusnet.com> wrote:
 > environ(7) manpage references builtin(1) (as cd(1)) and ex(1)
 > for no apparent reason, but not printenv(1).
 >
 > (It also references system(3), but I'm less sure about the
 > irrelevance of that, so I don't propose removing it.)

 > >Fix:
 >  .Sh SEE ALSO
 > -.Xr cd 1 ,
 > -.Xr csh 1 ,
 >  .Xr env 1 ,
 > -.Xr ex 1 ,
 > +.Xr printenv 1 ,
 >  .Xr login 1 ,
 > +.Xr csh 1 ,
 >  .Xr sh 1 ,
 >  .Xr execve 2 ,
 >  .Xr execle 3 ,

 See below for comments for each change...

 > Remove cd(1) and ex(1).

 No, please.  The environ(7) manpage describes CDPATH (which affects the
 ``cd'' builtin of popular shells and is hard-linked as cd(1) to the
 builtin(1) manpage).  This is why the references to cd(1) exist.

 The ex(1) and vi(1) manpages are referenced within the text of the
 environ(7) manpage, at the description of EXINIT, so they can't go away
 either.

 > Add printenv(1).

 This is cool, but we have to find a good way to reference this manpage
 from the manpage text too.  How about something like this?

     The current environment variables can be printed with set(1) or
     printenv(1) in sh(1) and printenv(1) or the ``printenv'' built-in
     command in csh(1).

 > Move csh(1) to make the grouping more consistent.

 Nope, this is wrong.  The manpages in SEE ALSO sections are always
 sorted first by section number and then alphabetically.