docs/84956: [patch] intro(5) manpage doesn't mention API coverage

Gary W. Swearingen garys at opusnet.com
Tue Aug 16 19:10:06 UTC 2005

The following reply was made to PR docs/84956; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: garys at opusnet.com (Gary W. Swearingen)
To: Giorgos Keramidas <keramida at freebsd.org>
Cc: bug-followup at freebsd.org
Subject: Re: docs/84956: [patch] intro(5) manpage doesn't mention API
 coverage
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 12:09:19 -0700

 Giorgos Keramidas <keramida at freebsd.org> writes:

 > Ouch!  The link(5) and acct(5) manpages seem a bit misplaced.  They
 > don't describe a "file format", so they shouldn't be in section (5)
 > IMHO.  There are a few other manpages in ``/usr/share/man/man5''
 > that I am not sure about either.

 If you want me to do something, let me know.  I could do more research
 and maybe ask ask on one or more lists whether people have objections
 to moving each seemingly-misplaced manpage to a newly-proposed section.

 > My intuition says that anyone who is reading intro(X) manpages should be
 > able to find out about all the other intro(Y) manpages.  So, it seems
 > that inter-linking from any intro(X) manpage to the other intro(Y)
 > manpages, where X != Y, seems reasonable.

 Are you saying they should each reference all the others?  OK by me,
 but I think it would better to have them all reference only intro(1),
 which already references all the others (except "intro(n)" because it
 does not exist). Manpage intro(1) probably also should have a section
 explaining the manual in general. I'll write PRs on the last two
 problems.

 But intro(5) should not reference only intro(1) and intro(8).