docs/84453: bsd_seeotheruids root user exempt from policy

Tom Rhodes trhodes at FreeBSD.org
Wed Aug 3 02:13:12 UTC 2005

On Wed, 3 Aug 2005 01:50:15 GMT
g at vaned.net wrote:

> The following reply was made to PR docs/84453; it has been noted by
> GNATS.
>
> From: g at vaned.net
> To: Ceri Davies <ceri at submonkey.net>
> Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit at freebsd.org
> Subject: Re: docs/84453: bsd_seeotheruids root user exempt from policy
> Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2005 20:45:02 -0500
>
>  On Mon, Aug 01, 2005 at 11:11:37PM +0100, Ceri Davies wrote:
>  > Could the submitter please post the output of "sysctl -a | grep
>  > security.mac" on the affected system?
>
>  sagan# sysctl -a | grep security.mac
>  security.mac.max_slots: 4

[SNIP]

>  security.mac.seeotheruids.enabled: 1
>  sagan# whoami
>  root

[SNIP]

There is not a problem with the user or user's configuration,
there is not a problem with the handbook text,
the software is incorrect here.

The root user, or any user in the wheel group seems exempt
from the security checks here.  Robert Watson and I have
discussed this, but have not implemented a fix.

This PR can be assigned to either myself or rwatson.  Perhaps
to me so I can oversee it's closing.  Otherwise, just close
it.  Thanks!

--
Tom Rhodes