docs/84409: vinum-object-naming.html -v/-U typo

Ceri Davies ceri at submonkey.net
Mon Aug 1 22:30:25 UTC 2005

The following reply was made to PR docs/84409; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Ceri Davies <ceri at submonkey.net>
To: garys at opusnet.com
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit at FreeBSD.org,
 Richard Stride <fury at nexxus.net>
Subject: Re: docs/84409: vinum-object-naming.html -v/-U typo
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2005 23:25:17 +0100

 On 31 Jul 2005, at 21:56, Gary W. Swearingen wrote:

 > doc@ mail From: Richard Stride <fury at nexxus.net>
 >
 > At the very end of this page:
 >
 > http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/vinum-
 > object-naming.html
 >
 > Section 17.7.1 says:
 >
 > # newfs -v /dev/vinum/concat
 >
 > which refers to the newfs command manpage linked on the same page:
 >
 > http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=newfs&sektion=8
 >
 > which shows there is no -v option.
 >
 > This is not helpful and should be corrected to what the current
 > vinum manpage suggests as
 >
 > # newfs -U /dev/vinum/concat

 -U is not correct here.

 There used to be (and still is) a -v option in RELENG_4, which is
 still required when newfs'ing a vinum volume.

 The -v text needs to be conditional on whether the user is in the
 post 5.x world or not.

 Ceri
 not sure about the former.                        -- Einstein (attrib.)