install

Sebastien Dorey dorey.sebastien at free.fr
Fri Apr 22 15:13:13 UTC 2005

Sir,
hello, I just installed freeBSD 5.3 from the scratch on my laptop with CD. I
install basics and graphic environment. It works just fine now. During the
installation process (from the CD) everything worked great. When I wanted to
start graphic environment here came one big problem. I read the chapter related
to KDM and XDM configuration many times. I know that's not obvious to gather all
information from all over the world but if my request can make better the
installation process I'll be honored. Before finding the final solution I made
research on the web and news group.
When I use startx after login in text mode as root or whatever login is
everything is going great (I followed instruction from the doc of freeBSD). If
I launch xdm or KDM from text mode without changing anything in a conf file ,
login and password widget show up. When I login with the user password the
screen is blinking and then come back to login graphical screen. When I watched
in the .xsession-error file it was telling me that I could not log to X server
:0.0 display not allowed. I solved the problem just by adding in the file
/etc/rc.conf the hostname variable. This problem occurs to many people on the
net so my sugestion is not inocent. Well I was guessing: is that possible to
add in the doccumentation concerning X configuration for the first and
precisely in the XDM or KDM chapter an add on that say 'don't forget to
configure your localhost variable in /etc/rc.conf' otherwise you won't be abble
to log properly.
I know my email sounds like stupid or borring to read but this can remove the
lost of time for configuration pain to users or administrators or whatever. I
hope my email would be taken seriouly because you know sometime it can make
people changing their mind just for one bull sheet of configuration. Don't
worry about me I am persistant and fan of freeBSD so this not my case but other
persons can be.

Thanx anyway to have read my email.
Sincerely,

Sebastien dorey