mozilla's install hanging on amd64

Michael Nottebrock michaelnottebrock at gmx.net
Tue Apr 12 06:05:53 UTC 2005

On Tuesday, 12. April 2005 07:33, Mikhail Teterin wrote:

> > Mikhail seems to have forgotten that not too long ago, CPUTYPE was
> > something for only the most daring would use. GCC's optimizers have seen
> > much improvement since then, but just because you can get away with
> > always setting CPUTYPE for everything much more often these days doesn't
> > mean it's not risky anymore (or we would have the resources to runtime
> > test every port in the collection with all possible CPUTYPE settings on
> > each arch).
>
> Nothing except Mozilla has ever caused problems for Mikhail, that was
> traceable to this switch.

Lucky Mikhail. I actually don't believe you really missed the tons of broken
ports that -march=p4 used to produce with early versions of gcc3 though.

> make.conf(5) documents it, it should work. Period.

make.conf(5) documents CFLAGS. What would you like to infer from that fact?

> And everything does
> work. Complex things like Perl build fine and pass their self-tests (make
> test). The entire KDE built and works (although it is lacking self-tests).
>
> Time to stop blaming compiler for the software's bug -- and Mozilla has
> plenty of them.

If a compiler optimization produces a bad binary while the same compiler with
the switch off does not (or a different version of the compiler with the
switch does not), the compiler usually *is* to blame. I don't know of course
whether this is the case, I couldn't find the beginning of this thread.

   ,_,   | Michael Nottebrock               | lofi at freebsd.org