docs/79667: Some sections of the handbook refer to /etc/ppp/ppp.conf and others just ppp.conf This patch makes it consistant throughout

Marc Fonvieille blackend at FreeBSD.org
Fri Apr 8 09:30:12 UTC 2005

The following reply was made to PR docs/79667; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Marc Fonvieille <blackend at FreeBSD.org>
To: Josh Paetzel <josh at tcbug.org>
Cc: FreeBSD gnats submit <FreeBSD-gnats-submit at FreeBSD.org>
Subject: Re: docs/79667: Some sections of the handbook refer to /etc/ppp/ppp.conf and others just ppp.conf  This patch makes it consistant throughout
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2005 11:22:55 +0200

 On Thu, Apr 07, 2005 at 09:48:55PM -0500, Josh Paetzel wrote:

 > >Number:         79667
 > >Category:       docs
 > >Synopsis:       Some sections of the handbook refer to /etc/ppp/ppp.conf and others just ppp.conf  This patch makes it consistant throughout
 > >Confidential:   no
 > >Severity:       non-critical
 > >Environment:
 >

 > System: FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE-p8 #2: Wed Apr  6 18:08:11 CDT 2005
 >     jpaetzel at twinmp.tcbug.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/TWINMP

 > http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/ppp-and-slip.html
 > uses ppp.conf and /etc/ppp/ppp.conf somewhat haphazardly.   This patch
 > makes the usage "uniform"

 The current usage in the Handbook is not inconsistent.
 In the mentioned chapter the location of configuration files is clearly
 stated:
 "Both ppp and pppd (the kernel level implementation of PPP) use
 the configuration files located in the /etc/ppp directory."

 Then the 1st time ppp.conf is mentioned we have: "You will need to edit
 the /etc/ppp/ppp.conf configuration file."
 The following instances use both ppp.conf and /etc/ppp/ppp.conf, in the
 same way we do for rc.conf and /etc/rc.conf, sendmail.cf, GENERIC, and
 thousand of files.
 Since the reader must read the beginning of the section with important
 and "mandatory" explanations, he will know where is located ppp.conf
 If the reader starts to read a section from the middle of it, we cannot
 help...
 I will evev add that having full path often leads to a "bloated" text.

 Marc