Chapter 21.5 inaccuracy

Josh Paetzel josh at tcbug.org
Tue Apr 5 21:11:35 UTC 2005

On Tuesday 05 April 2005 15:30, Markus Vuorio wrote:
> Somehow I managed to think that ppp.conf should be located in
> /etc/, though it actually located in /etc/ppp/. You should maybe
> add some directives to 21.5 chapter for ppp.conf location so next
> time I'll find it faster :). I actually made ppp.conf file to /etc
> and then wondered why the heck doesn't it work.
>
> --
>
> Markus
> markus at vtspartio.net

If you read the whole page /etc/ppp/ppp.conf is documented

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/ppp-and-slip.html

/etc/ppp/ppp.conf appears to be hard-coded into ppp, so there is no
ambiguity in where the config file will be living on a given
computer.

There are places where it's called /etc/ppp/ppp.conf

1.2.1.3.1 PPP and Static IP Addresses

You will need to edit the /etc/ppp/ppp.conf configuration file. It
should look similar to the example below.

Other places it's simply referred to as ppp.conf

Line 6 & 7:

The dial string. User PPP uses an expect-send syntax similar to the
chat(8) program. Refer to the manual page for information on the
features of this language.

Note that this command continues onto the next line for readability.
Any command in ppp.conf may do this if the last character on the line
is a ``\'' character.

Would it make sense to change all instances of ppp.conf
to /etc/ppp/ppp.conf?

--
Thanks,

Josh Paetzel