Question regarding 'placeholders' (Translations)

Marc Fonvieille blackend at freebsd.org
Sat Sep 18 13:32:59 UTC 2004

On Sat, Sep 18, 2004 at 02:24:53PM +0200, Remko Lodder wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I asked in a reply to Xin Li and Denis Peplin, i want to define
> a correct and global agreement on how we as translation teams
> should use placeholders.
>
> The Dutch Project follows the style of the German Project,
> while the Russian Project does that in another way.
>
> How do the German/Dutch projects handle the placeholders?
>
> Like this:
>
> <sect1>
>   <title>* Translated title</title>
>
>   <para></para>
> </sect1>
>
> How does the Russian Project handle this?
>
> <sect1>
>   <title>Translated title *</title>
>
>   <para></para>
> </sect1>

[...]

I don't think it's a good idea.  We should let translation teams use
what they think is the best solution.  And a translation team could even
decide to just not add skeleton for non-translated section/chapter.

And from my point of view <title>Translated title *</title> or
<title>* Translated title</title> are just not good cause confusing and
not enough clear when you look at the TOC.

I really think we should let teams make the choice on this point.

Marc