docs/71782: mount_nfs man page is a bit out of date

Guy Harris guy at alum.mit.edu
Thu Sep 16 00:20:26 UTC 2004

>Number:         71782
>Category:       docs
>Synopsis:       mount_nfs man page is a bit out of date
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
The mount_nfs man page claims that NFS-over-TCP is mainly a BSD thing:

     -T      Use TCP transport instead of UDP.  This is recommended for
             servers that are not on the same LAN cable as the client.  (NB:
             This is NOT supported by most non-BSD servers.)

and

BUGS
     Due to the way that Sun RPC is implemented on top of UDP (unreliable
     datagram) transport, tuning such mounts is really a black art that can
     only be expected to have limited success.  For clients mounting servers
     that are not on the same LAN cable or that tend to be overloaded, TCP
     transport is strongly recommended, but unfortunately this is restricted
     to mostly 4.4BSD servers.

which is somewhat out-of-date now.

It also seems to think the "-r" and "-w" flags are mainly used for cranking I/O sizes down for use with UDP-only servers on lossy networks, which might lead some to think you can't use it to crank the sizes *up* on, for example, NFS-over-TCP connections.

The NetBSD mount_nfs man page says for "-T":

     -T      Use TCP transport instead of UDP.  This is recommended for
             servers that are not on the same physical network as the client.
             Not all NFS servers, especially not old ones, support this.

and doesn't have that BUGS item.