Hardware note auto-generation - status?

Simon L. Nielsen simon at FreeBSD.org
Sun Sep 12 20:45:28 UTC 2004

On 2004.08.30 19:10:55 -0500, Mark Johnston wrote:
> What's up, -doc? *

Hey, sorry about the delay in answering your mail.

> In summarizing the cvs-src commits lately, I've noticed a fair bit of work
> going into retrofitting the man pages to support auto-generation of hardware
> notes.  I'm afraid I haven't followed the doc@ list since that was a WIBNI
> instead of a WIP, so I'm not sure of the status of the project.  I would like
> to mention it in the cvs-src summary when it's all through; is there a
> certain src commit I should be watching for to tip me off when it's done?

Well, it's progressing fairly well at the moment, but there is still
some way to go before it's done.  The goal is still to auto generate
listings for most devices that has a manual page for the 5.3 release.

> Alternatively, would it be possible for someone involved to drop me a brief
> note when a mention would be most appropriate?

Sure, I can do that.  It will probably be sometime around 5.3-RELEASE.

> BTW, I'm not averse to mentioning other significant doc@ commits, although I
> don't have time to follow the doc cvs.  If there are commits or general
> changes that you'd like to see me note in a summary, please drop me a mail.

OK - this could also be a good way for other contributors to help the
doc project out a bit (hint hint, to whoever other doc@ people that
read this :-) ).

Actually I think it's worth nothing the DocBook slides murray@ added
(in doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/slides/) this week.  E.g.:

Murray Stokely (murray) added some general slides about FreeBSD that
can be used when doing presentations about FreeBSD.

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/mid.cgi?200409071215.i87CFCgD024825

> * Sorry, you've probably heard it a million times.  :)

He, I actually hadn't heard that one before :-).

--
Simon L. Nielsen
FreeBSD Documentation Team