i.e. vs. e.g.

Simon L. Nielsen simon at FreeBSD.org
Wed Sep 8 20:33:30 UTC 2004

yOn 2004.09.08 21:17:37 +0100, Ceri Davies wrote:

> All,
>
> Apologies in advance for coming over all schoolmaster like, but I've
> noticed a few instances where I believe that people are confusing the
> terms "i.e." and "e.g.", and so here's a little reminder/summary:
>
> 	i.e. can be read as "that is to say".
>
> 	e.g. can be read as "for example".

Perhaps time time for a "English FreeBSD doc-people/dummies" article?

Actually I think it could be a nice thing, with some tips (like the
one above) and links to other resources, e.g. about commas, since
there are a lot of non-native English speakers (like me) who are often
in doubt, or often forget.

But of course there are many things that would be nice to have...

P.S. If there are any errors in the text above it's only to make a
point... really! ;-).

--
Simon L. Nielsen
FreeBSD Documentation Team