More thoughts about slides

Marc Fonvieille blackend at freebsd.org
Sun Sep 5 20:33:54 UTC 2004

On Sun, Sep 05, 2004 at 12:59:32PM -0700, Murray Stokely wrote:
[...]
> As far as tools, I've recently added support for USE_FOP and USE_XEP
> since PassiveTeX does not support the background-image property that I
> wanted for my stylesheet layer.  XEP seems to be the clear leader for
> generating PDF output, but it is a commercial product.  Apache's free
> FOP tool (java) is quite good.
>
> Any thoughts or suggestions about this process?  If you're in the
> habit of giving presentations about FreeBSD, what would you look for
> to consider a DocBook/XML based solution over other (WYSIWYG) tools?
[...]

I use to do slides with prosper, it's very flexible and just uses the
vanilla teTeX port; therefore no problem to generate the pdf file.  I
would use DocBook slides just for very simple slides without animation,
graphics or sophisticated layout.  In fact last time I looked in DocBook
slides, I realised that it'd require a lot of work to do a custom
complicated layout.
It's why we really need some good templates to use.

Marc