Automatic RSS Detection

Todd Ross Todd_Ross at mgic.com
Tue Oct 19 17:30:24 UTC 2004

Ceri Davies <setantae at submonkey.net> wrote on 10/19/2004 12:25:35 PM:

> On Tue, Oct 19, 2004 at 06:11:24PM +0100, Ceri Davies wrote:
> > On Tue, Oct 19, 2004 at 12:05:28PM -0500, Todd Ross wrote:
> > > Hello FreeBSD-doc,
> > >
> > > Please consider modifying your website to allow browsers to
auto-discover
> > > RSS feeds.  Mozilla Firefox has a feature called Live Bookmarks
where RSS
> > > feed functionality is actually built right into the bookmark
manager.
> > > Opera, and I believe Safari are implementing RSS auto-discovery as
well.

> > > It's really simple to do.  The tag goes in the head section with
your
> > > other 'link's and will end up looking something like this:
> > >
> > >   <link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="FreeBSD
Project
> > > News" href="/news/news.rdf" />
> > >   <link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml"
> title="FreeBSD Security
> > > Advisories" href="/security/advisories.rdf" />
> > >
> > > I look forward to being able to syndicate FreeBSD.org from right
within
> > > Firefox.
> >
> > Let me test this this evening and if/when it works then I can't see
any
> > reason why it shouldn't go in Real Soon Now (tm).
>
> Ok, done.
>
> Thanks for the suggestion and for supplying the relevant incantations.

I'm unable to verify the changes on my end.  A refresh of the page (the
index at http://www.freebsd.org/) and a view source doesn't show the new
'link's.  Does the HTML have to be rebuilt before it will make it to the
HTTPd?

Thanks to both Ceri and Alex for the amazing response times.

Todd Ross
MGIC Systems Development
Phone: (414) 347-2404, (800) 558-9900 x2404
E-Mail: Todd_Ross at mgic.com