docs/72743: Porter's Handbook lacks info on using autoconf, automake, etc.

Fernan Aguero fernan at iib.unsam.edu.ar
Fri Oct 15 19:40:35 UTC 2004

>Number:         72743
>Category:       docs
>Synopsis:       Porter's Handbook lacks info on using autoconf, automake, etc.
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Environment:

FreeBSD pi.iib.unsam.edu.ar 4.10-RELEASE FreeBSD 4.10-RELEASE #0: Wed May 26 12:56:43 ART 2004 fernan at pi.iib.unsam.edu.ar:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/PI  i386

	The Chapter 6 on 'Special considerations' has a section on
	'Using automake, autoconf and libtool'.
	http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/porters-handbook/using-automake.html

	However, the section is essentially empty and only contains
	table 6.3 (Variables for ports that use automake, autoconf or
	libtool).
	http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/porters-handbook/using-automake.html#AEN2507

	I am currently testing a port that needs to have autoconf run
	after some patches are applied. I've looked into the Porter's
	handbook for information and haven't found it.

	The table is not clear to me, since after reading it it's not
	yet obvious to me what incantations should be used into a port's
	Makefile.

	Unfortunately, since I don't know yet how this should be done,
	I'm unable to also fix the documentation gap -- first I have to
	fill my own knowledge gap :)

	I'm just filling the PR so that the issue doesn't get lost or
	forgotten.