docs/72375: prototype error in signal(3)

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at freebsd.org
Wed Oct 6 09:00:48 UTC 2004

The following reply was made to PR docs/72375; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Giorgos Keramidas <keramida at freebsd.org>
To: Poul-Henning Kamp <phk at critter.freebsd.dk>
Cc: bug-followup at freebsd.org
Subject: Re: docs/72375: prototype error in signal(3)
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2004 11:53:41 +0300

 On 2004-10-06 08:57, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk at critter.freebsd.dk> wrote:
 > The prototype in signal(3) is misformatted somehow, but I don't
 > have enough mdoc clue to fix it:
 >
 >     void (*
 >     signal(int sig, void (*func)(int)))(int);

 Ruslan has added a comment above the mdoc source of signal.3 that reads
 like this:

      45 .\" The following is Quite Ugly, but syntactically correct.
      46 .\" Don't try to
      47 .\" fix it.
      48 .Ft void \*(lp*
      49 .Fn signal "int sig" "void \*(lp*func\*(rp\*(lpint\*(rp\*(rp\*(rp\*(lpint"

 If Ruslan doesn't know of a better way to write this in mdoc, it's quite
 possible that there is none.  One way to write the prototype without
 this strange output is with a typedef, as shown a few lines below in the
 same manpage ;-)