Contributing to the FreeBSD documentation (was: Re: cvs commit: doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/mirrors chapter.sgml)

Mark Linimon linimon at lonesome.com
Sun Nov 14 23:11:57 UTC 2004

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004, Josh Paetzel wrote:

> In my experience (please don't take this as a whiney complaint) most
> of my input has been ignored.  Just a recent example of this is
> docs/73760.  I submitted a PR w/ patch and it's been "ignored" (there
> are no replies to it).

Well,, ... 73xxx is still pretty recent :-)  Take a look at the current
contents of GNATS.  Now reflect on the fact that we only rolled over
to 50000 in March 2003, 60000 in December 2003, and 70000 in August 2004.

Point being, we get _lots_ of PRs :-) and the number is accelerating
rapidly.

In a more perfect world, we'd get to them a lot faster and the backlog
wouldn't build up, but we have a fairly small number of committers for
a project of this size.

I know it's frustrating to submit PRs and have them sit in GNATS and
I've spent quite a bit of my FreeBSD time fiddling with the backlog.
All I can do is to encourage you (and others) to keep sending them;
to not give up and be patient.  Doing things this way is imperfect
but noone else has come up with anything better, yet.

mcl, with bugmeister hat on