confusion about diskettes

Walt Pawley walt at wump.org
Sun Nov 7 23:00:03 UTC 2004

Once upon a time, I ran some boxes with FreeBSD-3.2 (still do, actually). I
decided to dust off and de-mold an old white box and see if I could get v5
of some ilk running on it. During my resurrecting efforts 5.3-STABLE was
announced, so that seemed like a good choice to try. I suspect it still is
but the documentation does not seem to be keeping up with the changes.

In particular, the floppy disk arrangement is quite different between 5.3
and even 5.2.1 if the files I d/l-d are any example. I would not expect
that the handbook would necessarily follow such changes immediately, but it
would seem logical that the README.TXT file should reflect the files it
accompanies. Perhaps it does and I'm just too impatient to decode how the
data is hidden there - the file size has increased a bit. Still the
README.TXT file that comes with the 5.3 floppy set seems to have more to do
with previous setups than the one it comes with.

If there's something I'm missing, I would appreciate a pointer.

--

Walter M. Pawley <walt at wump.org>
Wump Research & Company