docs/73638: Clarify syntax for use of tables with ipfw

Mark Rowlands mark.rowlands at mypost.se
Sun Nov 7 10:10:27 UTC 2004

>Number:         73638
>Category:       docs
>Synopsis:       Clarify syntax for use of tables with ipfw
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Environment:
FreeBSD pcmarpxy.mine.nu 4.10-STABLE FreeBSD 4.10-STABLE #1: Wed Oct  6 21:27:47 CEST 2004     root at pcmarpxy.mine.nu:/usr/obj/web1/src/sys/MARK  i386

man 8 ipfw describes syntax for table use in ipfw like this:-

addr: [not] {any | me | table(number[,value]) | addr-list | addr-set}
..
table(number[,value])

Running under bash / sh / csh
ipfw add 2 deny ip from table(1) to me in via xl1 generates a syntax error.

the table(x,y) entry seems to require quotes under most shells.

I feel the man page should indicate this
>How-To-Repeat:
sh# ipfw add 201 deny ip from any to table(2) in via xl1
Syntax error: "(" unexpected

csh# ipfw add 201 deny ip from any to table(2) in via xl1
Badly placed ()'s.

bash# ipfw add 201 deny ip from any to table(2) in via xl1
Syntax error: "(" unexpected

>Fix:
Add warning to man page that "table(x,y)" may well be required
dependant on particular shell...