pr guidelines, DES's name...

Simon L. Nielsen simon at FreeBSD.org
Wed Nov 3 21:53:30 UTC 2004

On 2004.11.03 13:31:53 -0800, John-Mark Gurney wrote:

> I just happen to notice that Mozilla 1.7.3 doesn't display des's last name
> properly on:
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/pr-guidelines/
>
> The letter after Sm is not rendered properly..  it appears that you

That would be an "ø".  I think it's related to your locale/font
configuration, and not browser version.  It works fine for me (Firefox
1.0r1), but I also use iso8859-1 for my native language support.

> are sticking a hi-ascii character in a UTF-8 document...  so either the
> charset should be changed to iso8859-1, or it should be replaced with the
> proper character element ø

I think the real problem is that neither the webserver nor the
document sets the character set.  It should be iso8859-1 and not
utf-8, as can be seen from the directory name (en_US.ISO8859-1).

I guess the right solution is to insert the proper metatag in the
headers to force iso8859-1.

--
Simon L. Nielsen
FreeBSD Documentation Team