5.3: diskless(8)

Rob spamrefuse at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 3 02:55:41 UTC 2004

Hi,

In the manpage of diskless(8), there is:

1)
   [...zip...]
   DHCP or BOOTP to acquire configuration information.  The boot scripts
   recognize a diskless startup and perform the actions found in
   /etc/rc.d/initdiskless and /etc/rc.d/diskless.  On older systems, the
   scripts are located in /etc/rc.diskless1 and /etc/rc.diskless2.
   [...cut...]

  However, /etc/rc.d/diskless is not on my 5.3 system; should that be
  removed here?

2)
   [...zip...]
   where <ROOT> is the mount point on the server of the root partition.
   The script /usr/share/examples/diskless/clone_root can be used to
   create a shared read-only root partition, but in many cases you may
   decide to export (again as read-only) the root directory used by the
   server itself.
   [...cut...]

  I actually wonder if the reference to the clone_root script is still
  recommendable. Since the diskless boot depends on NFS (rather insecure),
  the diskless setup should be on a trusted network anyway, so why not just
  advice in diskless(8) to directly mount the root-partition of the master,
  instead of cloning root.
  If so, the remark on clone_root may be removed from diskless(8), and the
  clone_root script itself may be removed as well (the script doesn't work
  anyway with 5.3).

3)
   diskless(8) also mentions "/etc/rc.local", which is not in use anymore
   on 5.3.

Regards,
Rob.