RFC: minor change to Porter's Handbook

Martin Heinen martin at sumuk.de
Sun May 23 19:48:10 UTC 2004

On Sat, May 22, 2004 at 01:57:13PM -0500, Mark Linimon wrote:

> +	  <para>Assume that someone has the line
> +	    <programlisting>USE_POINTYHAT=yes</programlisting>
> +	    in <filename>make.conf</filename>.  The first of
> +	    the next two <filename>Makefile</filename> snippets will
> +	    cause <command>make index</command> to fail, while the
> +	    second one will not:
> +	    <programlisting>
> +.if USE_POINTYHAT
> +.error "POINTYHAT is not supported"
> +.endif
> +	    </programlisting>
> +	    <programlisting>
> +.if USE_POINTYHAT
> +IGNORE=POINTYHAT is not supported
> +.endif
> +	    </programlisting>
> +	  </para>
> +	</example>

As Simon already noted, white space is significant inside
programlisting and content should immediately follow the
opening tag.

The programlisting element is a block element which should
not be used inside other block elements.  I replaced
programlisting with literal in the running text, using
an option element would be an option too :-)

+	  <para>Assume that someone has the line
+	    <literal>USE_POINTYHAT=yes</literal>
+	    in <filename>make.conf</filename>.  The first of
+	    the next two <filename>Makefile</filename> snippets will
+	    cause <command>make index</command> to fail, while the
+	    second one will not:</para>
+

--
Marxpitn