SMTP Authentication in Handbook

james g. james at veldt.com
Sat Mar 27 03:07:28 UTC 2004

Some time ago, I emailed the freebsd project with a submission to the
handbook for enabling SMTP authentication in Sendmail.

It was received, and acknowledged. I was never told whether it would
make it into the handbook, other than it would be taken into
consideration.

During some handbook reading this evening, I noticed this recent
addition:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/smtp-auth.html

I was happy to see this added to the handbook, until I read it, and
realized that other than some editing of my poor blog writing, this was
a copy of my submission/blog post at:

http://veldt.com/archives/000111.html

which I've since followed up with (adding TLS) at:

http://veldt.com/archives/000315.html

While I'm extremely flattered to see my bit of work make it into a
source of documentation I rely so heavily on, I'm a bit saddened that I
received no credit within the handbook. While I'm happy to contribute
to the project, it's nice to be recognized in said project.

Cheers,

James Gorham