docs/64342: Assumed content of PATH is not defined in Porter's Handbook

Martin Horcicka horcicka at freebsd.cz
Tue Mar 16 14:30:16 UTC 2004

>Number:         64342
>Category:       docs
>Synopsis:       Assumed content of PATH is not defined in Porter's Handbook
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Environment:
System: FreeBSD dual.ms.mff.cuni.cz 4.9-STABLE FreeBSD 4.9-STABLE #2: Fri Dec 12 22:05:35 GMT 2003 calda at xdual.kolej.mff.cuni.cz:/usr/src/sys/compile/DUAL i386

In section "5.7.2 RUN_DEPENDS" of Porter's Handbook there is mentioned usage
of "which -s" to "determine if the program exists in the user's search path".
Unfortunately I cannot see any definition of PATH that porters should assume
so that they could choose the right form of dependency - e.g.:

RUN_DEPENDS=	portupgrade:${PORTSDIR}/sysutils/portupgrade
or
RUN_DEPENDS=	${LOCALBASE}/sbin/portupgrade:${PORTSDIR}/sysutils/portupgrade

In scripts used on clusters for package building I have found the following:

/usr/ports/Tools/portbuild/scripts/dopackages:
    PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin

/usr/ports/Tools/portbuild/scripts/portbuild:
    PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:.

I am not very sure which of these definitions is actually used during the
building but I'd bet on that one from portbuild.

BTW, does anyone know why there is that dot (actual directory) at the end of
the list? It is not very typical. And why is /usr/local/sbin missing there?

>How-To-Repeat:

>Fix:

Port managers should be asked about the value of PATH that porters should
assume for building packages at building clusters and that information should
appear on some suitable place in Porter's Handbook.