http://www.freebsd.org/releases/4.10R/relnotes-i386.html questions

Hiroki Sato hrs at FreeBSD.org
Wed Jun 2 00:11:33 UTC 2004

Hi,

Chris Pepper <pepper at reppep.com> wrote
  in <p06101100bce296e828eb@[10.0.1.250]>:

pepper> 	Is this worth updating, for people like me who read the
pepper> release notes on the main website (and haven't upgraded already), or
pepper> not really, under the theory that people won't see updated release
pepper> notes? I don't see anything that needs to go into errata, which takes
pepper> updates post-release...

 Ah, sorry, almost all of them you pointed out seem my fault...

 Regardless of whether people will read or not, the release notes
 should not be updated after the release.  This is the
 same reason why the release distribution itself is not updated due to
 the errors/bugfixes without bumping the version number.  If needed,
 information on the error should be put into the errata document.
 Anyway, I appreciate your patch to fix them, especially for English
 nits---I am not a native speaker and want to learn from it.

pepper> /usr/src/release/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/relnotes/common/new.sgml doesn't
pepper> contain the content in the HTML. Is it immediately cleared out after
pepper> each release for the next release (4.11R in this case)? If so, that
pepper> seems to imply that release notes for a release are never updated
pepper> once the release is announced. Am I understanding correctly, or are
pepper> 4.10R notes only available from a specific tag, or am I completely
pepper> off in the weeds?

 The release notes for 4.10R is on RELENG_4_10, not RELENG_4.

pepper> 	On a forward-looking note, I notice that references like
pepper> ports/UPDATING are not links -- is there any reason they shouldn't be?

 No.  There has been no procedure to add references like
 ports/UPDATING yet because they are relatively new.  I think I will consider
 them in the next release cycle.