Creating an Admin Handbook

Tom Rhodes trhodes at FreeBSD.org
Tue Jul 20 19:49:20 UTC 2004

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 15:24:14 -0400 (EDT)
"Steve Bertrand" <steveb at eagle.ca> wrote:

> >> How about a wiki. Spamassassin uses one, and it seems quite intuitive.
> >>
> >> http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/
> >>
> >> Steve
> >
> > Stupid PHP based faq-o-matic things.
>
> Heh. Thanks for the very informative, enlightening and insightful reply to
> a simple suggestion. Makes for a great discussion, doesn't it?

And all wikis are PHP?  I didn't know that, I thought I was
just pointing out the idea of using a 'stupid PHP based
faq-o-matic thing' would work also.

> Or is this just a hint that only highly-qualified and extremely
> experienced persons are allowed to suggest anything here?

Depends, if all wikis are written in PHP then I am the one
enlightened.  On the other hand, if they aren't then I guess
my suggestion still stands:  We could use a 'stupid PHP based
faq-o-matic'; although it would have to be something we could
host on FreeBSD.org ourselves for it not to be devoid of any
real use.

If we did use something PHP based than I think a database is
out of the question.  Someone once pointed out to me that the
newer versions of MySQL offer mirroring potential but I can't
remember who nor have I researched that thought myself.  On the
other hand, I fear the idea of using plain text files with
the entire fopen() function since those files may become massive.

Otherwise, thanks for the sarcasm, it was pretty good; to have
improved it, you could have made an attempt to find out if wikis
only run on PHP and used that to your advantage.  :)

--
Tom Rhodes