RFC: initialisms and FDP

Marc Fonvieille blackend at FreeBSD.org
Tue Jul 13 18:15:05 UTC 2004

On Tue, Jul 13, 2004 at 06:06:24PM +0100, Ceri Davies wrote:

> > So to avoid the fact that, one day, someone starts to mix <abbrev> and
> > <acronym> tags in our doc, I propose to define in our FDP <acronym> as
> > a generic tag for initialisms.
>
> Fine with me - as far as I'm concerned both of the forms defined in [1]
> above *are* acronyms.  Expect me to raise holy hell if someone marks up
> an abbreviation (old-style) as an acronym though.

So "old-style" abbrevation: <abbrev>, the rest <acronym>.

> > This remark is important cause if we start to use <acronym> tags, which
> > is the case since a while, what should prevent someone to "spam" our
> > SGML files with these tags?  Some will think everything: SMTP, NTP etc.
> > should be tagged, so we will end up with "bloat".  Since this tag is not
> > rendered, for the moment, I don't see why in one section we should tag
> > many times the same initialism (but that's just my opinion).
>
> See murray's recent commit regrading ⋼.  We *should* be marking up
> every occurrence of an acronym as such, because that's what DocBook is
> for.

You're right, I did not read carefully last commits.  However Murray's
commit helps me to "bounce" on something I discreetly mentioned:
NTP, SMTP, TCP etc... should be tagged (I mean replaced with an entity) ?
What will be considered as an acronym?  Everything or just some terms?

Marc

> Ceri
>
> PS I understand that I am running somewhat hot at the moment - please
>    don't get offended by anything above.

Since english is not my mother tongue, it's sometimes difficult for me to
know when it's offending or not.  In the same way, people often thought I
was rude, but it was just a translation issue :)

Marc