HEADSUP: doc/ tagging for 5.2.1-RELEASE

Bruce A. Mah bmah at freebsd.org
Sun Jan 25 05:45:36 UTC 2004

As some of you might already be aware, the RE team is strongly
considering cutting a 5.2.1-RELEASE to fix several specific issues in
5.2-RELEASE.  Although none of these involve the doc/ subtree, we do
need to lay down a RELEASE_5_2_1 tag.

Because doc/ is (almost) always buildable, I would like to tag the
head of the doc/ tree for the new release to pick up new work that has
been committed since the last tagging.  The release schedule for
5.2.1-RELEASE hasn't been completely determined yet, but it will be an
extremely short release cycle, lasting about a week.  I'd expect to
lay down a tag for doc/ sometime about the middle of this week (about
28 January).  Due to the short release cycle, we're not going to do
the doc/ slush thing.  I'm just going to request that people be really
gentle to the doc/ tree over the next week or so.

I will be updating the release notes to produce a document that can be
used for 5.2.1-RELEASE.  I'm going to use the same basic model that I
did for the 4.6.2-RELEASE documentation, as soon as I figure out what
I did before.  :-)

I'll give more details as I learn more.

Thanks!

Bruce.