docs/61598: http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/releng/article.html should be updated with info on updating 5.2 w/o HEAD

Chris Pepper pepper at reppep.com
Tue Jan 20 01:00:12 UTC 2004

>Number:         61598
>Category:       docs
>Synopsis:       http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/releng/article.html should be updated with info on updating 5.2 w/o HEAD
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Environment:
System: FreeBSD www.reppep.com 4.9-STABLE FreeBSD 4.9-STABLE #13: Thu Nov 13 23:50:39 EST 2003 root at www.reppep.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/REPPEP i386

	The Handbook, in particular http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/releng/article.html, lacks information on updating 5.2. I'm testing the water, after tracking 4_RELENG for a while, and don't want to use CURRENT, but nformation on the equivalent to RELENG_4 is hard to find. I see RELENG_5_2 in cvsweb -- is there something else I should track to keep 5.2 updated without going fully bleeding-edge? This should also probably be mentioned in the FAQ.

	Similarly, http://www.freebsd.org/releng/ should be updated (the HEAD comment says 5.2 is not yet announced).

>How-To-Repeat:
	Visit the mentioned URLs.

>Fix:
	Update these URLs with information on tracking 5.2 -- is RELENG_5_2 only for security fixes, comparable to RELENG_4_8? Is there any alternative to track aside from CURRENT (tag=.)?