Validating docbook articles...

Alex Dupre ale at FreeBSD.org
Mon Feb 23 10:08:04 UTC 2004

Chuck Swiger wrote:

> Your latter comment suggests that the -preserve functionality in tidy is
> no longer available in tidy-devel, which matches my own attempt when
> looking though the tidy-devel code to find a comparible flag to set, and
> not finding anything?

The -preserve flag was added by phantom in tidy, it's not in the
original tidy archive. And tidy-devel has no additional flag that can be
set to simulate the -preserve flag. We need to add it to tidy-devel, too.

> Although, then again now that I think about it, using © rather than
> &#A9; (I think?) is more portable-- the issue of whether 0xA9 actually
> is the copyright symbol in the particular character character set being
> used could be a problem.  Isn't 0xA9 not the copyright symbol in one of
> UTF8 or ISO-8859-1?  [ I ran into this issue using the W3C HTML
> validator as well. ]

Exacly, this is the problem...it's not possible to let tidy convert all
entities into numerical or named entities because it doesn't understood
particular charset encodings, and so the conversion would be wrong.

--
Alex Dupre