I'm trying very hard to RTFM but I still have a question.

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Sun Feb 22 01:36:26 UTC 2004

John C. Sirbu wrote:
> I have tried to understand the mechanics but I am still alittle vague on
> the details.
> The process as I understand is supposed to go as Head -> Current ->
> Release -> Stable -> Production. Right?

No.

head == current == 5.x

stable == 4.x

Releases are well-tested, relatively stable snapshots of either 4.x or
5.x.  The term -release is not indicative of the intended use of the
version (i.e. a release version is not always production ready)

Currently, if you want production-quality FreeBSD, grab 4.9-RELEASE

> Could you please be so kind as to direct me to the appropriate location
> for any information pertaining on the ver 5.x path to a production release?

Releases along the 5.x branch are high enough qaulity for wide-spread testing
by non-technical people.  No version of 5.x should be used for any
mission-critical system.  5 will be considered stable when all the desired
features are finished, and many testers confirm that these features work.
There will be an announcement when this occurs.  Currently, it looks like
5.3-RELEASE will be announced stable, but that is subject to change,
depending on how things go.

If you want more detail, you might do well to subscribe and lurk on the
-CURRENT mailing list.  You can also read the archives for that list.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies