docs/62484: (mergemaster) does pre-buildworld really mean that?

Marc Fonvieille blackend at FreeBSD.org
Mon Feb 9 17:16:51 UTC 2004

On Mon, Feb 09, 2004 at 10:40:04AM -0500, Tom Rhodes wrote:
> On Sat, 7 Feb 2004 09:26:22 -0800 (PST)
> Jens Schweikhardt <schweikh at freebsd.org> wrote:
>
> > Synopsis: (mergemaster) does pre-buildworld really mean that?
> >
> > Responsible-Changed-From-To: freebsd-doc->dougb
> > Responsible-Changed-By: schweikh
> > Responsible-Changed-When: Sat Feb 7 09:25:28 PST 2004
> > Responsible-Changed-Why:
> > Over to mergemaster maintainer.
>
> I think this is a -doc issue as mergemaster isn't the problem.  The
> handbook should be adjusted.
>

>From my point of view there is nothing wrong in the Handbook.  This
later tells the same thing as UPDATING.

And mergemaster(8) says:

 -p          Pre-buildworld mode.  Compares only files known to be essen-
             tial to the success of {build|install}world, including
	     /etc/make.conf.

(note "{build|install}world")

We use -p for installworld in the UPDATING/Handbook examples, since
-p for buildworld would be used for special cases that would be
documented in UPDATING.

I'd say the only (maybe) confusing thing is the name of the -p option.

Marc