Diskless X Server: can not find netboot

Simon L. Nielsen simon at FreeBSD.org
Sun Feb 8 11:53:19 UTC 2004

On 2004.02.04 08:42:40 +0700, pirat wrote:
> hi sirs,
>
> i read that article many times wishing that i could set up my diskless.
> in that article, section 2 writes
>
> 2 Getting the network boot programs (On the server)
>
> Compile the ``net-boot'' programs that are located in /usr/src/sys/i386/boot/netboot.
>
> i can not find a netboot subdirectory

It was removed a few years ago with the following comment :

Remove the old a.out-only boot loader, we don't use it any more.
The new boot1/boot2 can load a.out and elf kernels directly.
I think the sys/pc98 version can go too as the sys/boot/pc98 code
appears to be functional, but I'll leave that for the pc98 folks.

and

MFC: nuke netboot, it is unmaintained, and ports/net/etherboot does the
same job ten times better.

Hope this helps.

Somebody probably needs to update the article (contributions are very
welcome :-) ).

--
Simon L. Nielsen
FreeBSD Documentation Team