Reorganising the porter's handbook

Sam Lawrance boris at brooknet.com.au
Sun Dec 12 06:09:58 UTC 2004

I think the porter's handbook could be reorganised and reworked with
great effect. I would like to do this if people think it useful.

After Kris Kennaway's request for a "being a port maintainer" document,
I looked through the porter's handbook for a while.

Have a look at the table of contents - there are 20 or so chapters, some
fairly broad like "Ports Security" and some are as narrow as "X11
fonts". I think it would be good to chop this down to maybe 8 or 10
chapters and reorganise things a bit more logically.

For example, they might be:

- Overview
- How to contribute
- Creating a new port
- Adopting an existing port
- Maintaining a port
- Recommended practices
- Issues when creating and maintaining a port
- Ports framework reference

The first 7 chapters could contain most of the stuff that most porters
will need to know, and the last chapter contains all the stuff that
people don't necessarily want to read through but may like to look up at
some stage.

Is this good? Not so good? Anybody working or thinking similarly?

--
Sam Lawrance    ph +61 0425 228 579    freenode: deft