Projects List (was Re: Doc BoF at EuroBSDCon)

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Wed Dec 8 13:28:47 UTC 2004

On 2004-12-07 01:27, Ruben Kerkhof <ruben.kerkhof at gmail.com> wrote:
>> There are a few nice todo lists items there.
>>
>> Here are some others I recently added to the current projects page
>> that I'd love for people to help out with :
>>
>> 1. Improve Handbook Index
>> 2. Modernize website with CSS
>
> I did some work on point 2. You can see the results on
> http://www.eyp.nl/freebsd/freebsd.htm
> and the stylesheet on http://www.eyp.nl/freebsd/freebsd.css

That's nice!  Apart from a few minor glitches like this:

    .columns-float
	{
	float: left;
	width: 80%;
	}

which end up displaying text that 'crosses' the border of the column.

> The site is almost completely table-free (except for the images at the
> bottom) and works fine in Firefox and IE 6.0 (haven't checked them in
> other browsers).

Tables are not always teh Evil Spawn of Hell(TM).  There are certain
sites out there that advocate a completely table-free design style.
Many valid points are made, as long as one is willing to get rid of all
the browsers that do not support CSS.

I am not exactly thrilled at the idea of a table-free site that avoids
the use of tables to appeal to the aggressively progressive Web Powers
That Be.

There are still people who like browsing sites with a text-only browser
(elinks, w3m, you name it).  These browsers do not support CSS.  I don't
think they ever will.  By avoiding tables like the plague, we put
ourselves in the bad position of dropping any chance of reasonably
displaying aligned material in these browsers.

Is that what we want?

In my weblog, I used a very simple table for the outline of the page and
CSS for everything else.  Let's not overestimate the advantages of a
CSS-only layout.