cvs commit: doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbookMakefilebook.sgml chapter.sgml

Remko Lodder remko at FreeBSD.org
Mon Dec 6 19:20:57 UTC 2004

Nik Clayton wrote:
Nik,

> Remko,

> With the best will in the world, I don't think occurences like this are
> things we're ever going to completely prevent, nor do I think that it's
> necessarily a good idea to.

Well, i think that people can inform, i dont care about the credits or
so, but i do care about the time that is lost when doing things double.
Luckily i read the commit message by accident that saved me a hell lot
of time and a hell lot of anger.

> First, we're never going to completely prevent it: e-mail's a fallible
> communication's medium.  All it takes is someone to not see a message
> posted, or to delete it (either inadvertently, or with over-active spam
> filters).  And people are fallible -- I know I don't always remember the
> ins and outs of which committer's on holiday or unavailable for extended
> periods of time.

At least you tried then, eventhough email is indeed failable.

> Second, this is a collaborative project.  Once there's consensus that
> making a particular change is a good idea it doesn't really matter who
> makes the change, as long as there's appropriate attribution in commit
> messages (which Murray didn't do, I believe, and has offered to
> force-commit to note this).

again i dont care about the credit. Informing is just a nice way of
saying hey, stop waisting your time, i did it for you instead of just
inserting the stuff.

> There have certainly been instances in the past where I've kicked off
> the discussion about something, to discover part way through that I've
> no longer got the time to do any of the actual work.  But a consensus
> emerges from the discussion, and whoever has the time (and the
> inclination) does the actual changes and commits.

Well i had the time and such but it got taken away.

> Sometimes this means that work gets 'trodden on'.  If committer A makes
> a 'surprise' change that invalidates a bunch of work committer B has
> been prepating to commit, it's common courtesy for A to offer to merge
> their work with the changes B has prepared.  And that's happened in the
> past.
>
> Of course, none of this is set in stone.  What do others think?

For me the problem is solved. I had spoken with Murray and others.

I will just focus on the part that was the reason for bringing
me into the doc team in the first place. The Dutch documentation.

Kind regards,

Remko Lodder
FreeBSD (Dutch) Documentation Team