Merging the FAQ -> handbook, build time options, proof ofconcept patch

Mark Linimon linimon at lonesome.com
Fri Dec 3 19:02:13 UTC 2004

I agree that we don't want any overlap in the FAQ and the handbook,
or frankly for anyplace else for that matter.  The overlap causes
confusion for both users and doc committers.  That's one of the
reasons that the FAQ has rotted so badly.

I see the FAQ serving as a "Start Here" document for people who
are not familiar with FreeBSD; as a place for "what is it/why should
I care/why did you do XYZ" thing.  I see the handbook as "now that
I have FreeBSD installed, how do I do XYZ".  The timeslice I had to
do the hackup job was insufficient to have gotten that across.

So I don't see having the "include the text here or include the text
there" knobs as doing anything other than perpetuating the bad
current practice.

I'm waving my hands at the "I tried to do XYZ and it didn't work"
questions which I think are different from the "how do I do XYZ"
questions.  The latter belong in the handbook, the former I'm not
so sure of.  Anyone have any experience in setting up a knowledge-
base app?  I'd accept the argument that that's really where those
kinds of answers belong.

mcl