TODO items for 5.3R

Bruce A. Mah bmah at freebsd.org
Tue Aug 24 15:20:26 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-08-23 at 22:22, Murray Stokely wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 17, 2004 at 09:45:26AM -0700, Bruce A. Mah wrote:
> > 3.  Just enough to get a user to the sysinstall screen.  The Handbook
> > can take over from there.  One nagging thing at the back of my head was
> > that I'm not sure how first-time users would get to the Handbook.
> > Obviously it's easy if they have net access.
>
> FreeBSD Mall, Inc. at one point added an autorun.inf file to our
> CDROMs so that the Handbook installation instructions would
> automatically pop up if someone put a FreeBSD CDROM in a Windows
> machine.  I think that this functionality should be added to
> release/Makefile for the ISO creating targets.

It's not quite as easy as just adding the autorun.inf file because as I
remember, you also needed to put an unpacked version of the installation
chapter and all of its images somewhere onto the CD-ROM, plus a
splash-page like thing.  Clearly this isn't hard to do in the case of a
release build, since we build the doc/ tree anyways, but I just wanted
to point out (esp. for those who might not have seen it) that there's a
teensy bit more work involved.

Cheers,

Bruce.