Man Pages Thoughts

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Thu Aug 19 20:28:04 UTC 2004

On 2004-08-19 14:43, Anthony Duerr <duerra at pushitlive.net> wrote:

> [[[ snip long discussion about EXAMPLES in manpages ]]]
>
> Examples:
> scp -r username at remotehost.com: /path/to/local/dir/
> /path/to/remote/dir   /* This recursively copies a local directory to a
> remote directory using the current user */
> scp username at remotehost.com: /a/file.txt /remote/directory/file.txt  /*
> This copies local file "file.txt" to /remote/directory/file.txt */
>
> Now, the example above isn't exactly flawless, but you get the idea.

This is a good idea.  One way that anyone could help add EXAMPLES to
more manpages is to keep a note of the manpages they want to see
examples in and then mail freebsd-doc or send a PR.

If you also have the kindness to include a sample of the examples you'd
like to see in the manpages I'll be happy to review the text and commit
as many of these as I can to the tree.  Submissions don't really have to
be in -mdoc format if this scares you off.  I can handle the conversion.