Handbook-appearance in Opera

Ceri Davies ceri at submonkey.net
Thu Aug 19 18:33:50 UTC 2004

On Thu, Aug 19, 2004 at 08:26:12PM +0200, Marc Fonvieille wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 19, 2004 at 07:09:02PM +0100, Ceri Davies wrote:
> > On Tue, Aug 10, 2004 at 01:43:50AM +0200, Hilko Meyer wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I've spotted some some problems in
> > > http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/network-nis.html
> > > and the NFS-Chapter. The table under "Terms/Processes You Should Know"
> > > is displayed wrong in opera 7.5*. The columns term and description are
> > > shown with the same little width. Both columns have the width of the
> > > word rpc.yppasswdd.
> >
> > IE6 seems to do the same.  I've created a diff which corrects this;
> > could you please check
> > http://shrike.submonkey.net/~setantae/data/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/network-nis.html
> > and see if that fixes it for you?
> >
> > Diff attached for those interested.
>
> It's not possible to tweak the .css instead ?

I don't grok CSS, so don't know.  Mozilla is happy with the pages as
they are, but IE, and Opera apparently, want the width to be specified.
Mozilla renders both sets of pages the same way, so we don't lose
anything this way.  I wouldn't want to say which set of browsers are
doing the right thing; W3C's validator doesn't seem to care either way
(though it does have some interesting complaints for another thread).

I have applied similar patches to other chapters before, if that's worth
anything.

Ceri
--
It is not tinfoil, it is my new skin.  I am a robot.