Handbook 4.2 - ports overview

Leonard Zettel zettel at acm.org
Wed Aug 18 13:09:40 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 18 August 2004 08:08 am, Oliver Eikemeier wrote:
> Leonard Zettel wrote:
> > Well, this struggling newbie, using vanilla stuff lying around,
> > has managed to get at least three examples of what he would
> > call ports trees on his system.  One is for executables, and
> > two are connected with documentation. This led me to say
> > "a".
>
> Hmmm... sorry, I don't get it. How do they differ?

First, I apologize for not saying earlier "thank you for your Interest"
(and patience with an ignorant newbie).

On my system at the moment
/usr/ports contains make files used to build executables.
/usr/doc contains make files that build documentation.
/usr/www contains make files that build documentation related to
the FreeBSD web site.

I guess it boils down to whether "ports tree" means "something
that builds system executables" or "something that contains make
files". If the former, then is /usr/doc a doc tree?  Is there
a community consensus on these terms?
    -LenZ-