docs/70555: [diff] changes to freebsd-glossary

Tom Rhodes trhodes at FreeBSD.org
Tue Aug 17 14:40:28 UTC 2004

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 14:42:02 +0300
Giorgos Keramidas <keramida at freebsd.org> wrote:

Hi Giorgos, Niclas,

> On 2004-08-16 18:41, Niclas Zeising <lothrandil at n00b.apagnu.se> wrote:
> > I have made some additions to freebsd-glossary. Hopefully i have got
> > at least some entries right... ;) Feel free to make changes if
> > something is wrong or send me a note to change it.
>
> Nice work!
>
> If you can tolerate my knit-picking we can probably get a lot of good
> glossary entries out of this.  Let's see what we can do :)

[SNIP]

There is a mispelt tag, acronym, in here somewhere.  I'm just too
damn lazy to find it right now since it isn't in front of my face
in my inbox.  Also, there are some whitespace issues (spaces at
EOL, the first hunk removes a space at EOL, etc.) which should
be fixed before the commit.

These particular points; however, I did want to make a comment
on:

> >        <glossterm>Kilo Bits Per Second</glossterm>
> >        <acronym>Kbps</acronym>
> >        <glossdef>
> > -        <para></para>
> > +        <para>Used to measure bandwith. The Kilo prefix can be changed to Mega,
> > +          Giga, etc. as nessecary.</para>
>
> ===> Mental note to myself:
>
> "Bandwidth" is probably a term that would need clarification for someone
> who doesn't know what Kbps means.  Do we have a definition of teh term
> "bandwidth" in our glossary?

There are literally a ton of computer terms which most new users
would never know the meaning of if they're new.  Adding these may
just make the entire glossary more difficult, but hey, I'm not
doing the work.  :)

> >        <glossterm>Local Area Network</glossterm>
> >        <acronym>LAN</acronym>
> >        <glossdef>
> > -        <para></para>
> > +        <para>Network used on a local area, eg office, home etc. Often refered
> > +          to as network.</para>
>
> I think that "eg" is not a real word and should be written either as
> "i.e." or removed as part of a sentence rewrite.  "Referred" is also
> spelt with two r's.

"e.g." is as legal as "i.e.":

e.g. means "for example" and i.e. means "that is" and I've seen
both used in books.

Anyway, I want to spend a few hours on this sometime this week,
if you want this to apply cleanly then you'll step the review
process up a notch.  :P

--
Tom Rhodes