translation on georgian

Remko Lodder remko at elvandar.org
Mon Aug 9 16:24:28 UTC 2004

> 1. Find a couple of people interested in translating the docs to your
>    language - and I'm pretty sure that most translating projects have
>    started with just one, like you :)

Like the Dutch Translation team did, it started with one, now we have
many more, i regularly send out a status update through the
freebsd-status-report facility, and people come to us to help. Try that
as well :)

> 2. Put up a website or a mailing list describing what has been
>    translated so far, what is being translated right now, and who is
>    doing it - this is mainly for your own convenience, but it might also
>    work out in your favor: if people stumble onto this page, they just
>    might decide to join and help you!

Indeed, that's what we also did on FreeBSD-Doc-NL.
We have a website (my website, i am not going to spam it but if you
insist search for my name ("Remko Lodder") on the internet and it's the
one you cannot miss ;) or checkout the translations section or recent
status-reports ;)), we have cvs (local managed by me, but it's visible
what the changes are, try starting that early so you can show the world
what you are doing, since i started too late:(, and we have a
mailinglist, that makes it easier to communicate.

We have a FAQ (a dutch one and a english one), and we tend to have
updates every 2 weeks (to give people time to update some stuff etc).

It really works :)

>    (preferably using send-pr/GNATS) to add info about your project to
>    the www/en/docproj/translations.sgml file.  If there is no list or
>    site yet, you can still put in a blurb about your project with just
>    your e-mail address in there.

Like i did, again the status-report will also workout fine besides that,
also having example documentation ready is a great pre.

> 4. Do the actual translation!  Yeah, looks like you can't get by without
>    this part...

It's best if you can show others that you already have somethings under
'development' so that they know that you are serious..

> 5. Put up your translated documents in a tarball of some sort on a
>    website somewhere and send an e-mail to doc@ (or www@, if you are
>    translating the website) with the tarball location, so we can check
>    it into the Project's CVS repository :)

to guide you and checkup documentation if you have some ready... Since
the initial steps are the checks for SGML , layout and such...

> I think that only points 0, 4 and 5 are 'mandatory', and you seem to
> have already done 0 and at least part of 4 - and in the words of
> Meatloaf, "two out of three ain't bad" :)  So once again, welcome, and
> keep up the good work!

Indeed, if you need help, or need facilities, i can perhaps host some
simple things (like a mailinglist and some CMS based page on which you
can give a status report and such), but that would be totally up to you,
you are free to choose :), other questions ? Ask them here!!

> G'luck,
> Peter

Cheers :-)

--