docs/69478: Add bit about Apache VirtualHosts

Murray Stokely murray at FreeBSD.org
Mon Aug 2 05:20:24 UTC 2004

The following reply was made to PR docs/69478; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Murray Stokely <murray at FreeBSD.org>
To: Brad Davis <so14k at so14k.com>
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit at FreeBSD.org
Subject: Re: docs/69478: Add bit about Apache VirtualHosts
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2004 05:17:51 +0000

 On Fri, Jul 23, 2004 at 05:43:49AM -0600, Brad Davis wrote:
 > +
 > +      <para>Apache supports two different types of Virtual Hosting. The first method is
 > +        Name-based Virtual Hosting. Name-based virtual hosting uses the clients HTTP/1.1
 > +        headers to figure out the hostname. This allows many different domains to share
 > +        the same IP address.</para>
 > +

 Please wrap the paragraph next time.  It makes it easier to review.

 > +      <para>To setup Apache to use Name-based Virtual Hosting add an entry like the following

 I added <application> tags around Apache in this section.

 > +      <para>If you had the domains www.domain.tld and www.someotherdomain.tld you would add
 > +        entries that look like the following:</para>

 This seems to be taken from the example in httpd.conf, which is fine,
 but please mention the sources when you submit things like this.  Also
 these domains should be wrapped in <hostid> tags.  I reworded this
 slightly.

 > +      <para>For more info consult the official Apache documentation at:

 We should use 'information' here and not informal half-words like
 'info'.  Also I updated the URL to vhosts/ rather than just the
 name-based.html file.  We also want to tell the user about the other
 type of virtual hosting (ip based), that you mention in the
 introduction of this section but then only explain name based.

 With these chagnes, I have committed this to CVS.  Thanks!

      - Murray